Tuesday, February 28, 2012

There's a First Time for Everything!



This is my very first blog attempt, so we'll see where this takes me. I decided that keeping a blog could be therapeutic for me while I juggle my college career, keeping active with the Skin Cancer Foundation and my Mela-No-More project, keeping active and in shape, and preparing for the big week in June! So, basically what you're going to be seeing on here is a lot of random stream-of-conscience writing, some health/diet tips, and a lot of my journey and anticipation building up. 

So, I suppose I should let you get to know me. My name is Alyssa and I'm a 20 year old student at the University of Delaware studying communications and Spanish, after college I hope to go on to law school and become a legal analyst for a major news network. I'm your average 20-year old, except I occasionally wear a sparkly crown and obscenely high heels. I'm from a teeny tiny town in southern Delaware, called Selbyville. My dad is a farmer, yes I can drive a tractor, no I've never milked a cow (he doesn't even have animals.) I say y'all, I cook some mean traditional southern farm food, and I tried hunting once, but cried the second a deer walked into my range of vision. My job is actually the coolest job in the world, I set up umbrellas in Bethany Beach, DE during the summers. I have a big brother, Cory, 2 step brothers, Ben and Zach, and a little sister, Remi, and the chillest cat in the world named Ziggy. Now that that's out of the way, let's talk pageants...


The Zig-man himself.


No I never did pageants as a child, I was not on Toddlers and Tiaras, my sister does not do pageants, and I will never put my child into glitz pageants. I'm 20 and I have never worn extensions in my whole life. Having said this, I absolutely love the show, even though it makes me cringe, and I call all my friends "Honey boo boo child." (I'm posting a video for those who did not get the reference...) 

I actually became involved in pageants/scholarship programs when I entered the Delaware's Junior Miss Scholarship Program as a Junior in high school. I ended up winning, a huge shock, and went on to compete in the national finals in Mobile Alabama. At nationals, I won a preliminary interview award,  and met some pretty special and amazing people. Through America's Junior Miss (now known as the Distinguished Young Women of America Program), I have been able to pay for all 4 years of my education at UD, and I will graduate 100% debt free! After Junior Miss I decided I was done with scholarship programs/pageants and I wanted to focus on school work. 

The pageant bug bit me when some directors from the Miss Delaware Organization started contacting me about competing in locals. After a few months of hesitation, my former Junior Miss directors, who are now like family to me, urged me to move on the the MAO level. I ended up winning Miss Sussex County 2011 last year, which earned me a bid to Miss Delaware. I walked away 4th Runner-Up, People's Choice Winner, and Rookie of the Year. Not too shabby for my first attempt if I do say so myself. The best part of my experience so far with this program, has been the new friends I've made, Shout out to Maria Cahill, Miss Delaware 2011! Miss Delaware week 2011 deserve's it's own blog post, and I will do just that later!

XOXOXOXO,
Alyssa

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." 
John 1:1


Check out the Distinguished Young Women of America website!

Also check out the Miss Delaware official website and see what Maria is up to!

No comments:

Post a Comment