Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Miss Delaware Week 2011

As I mentioned in my FIRST BLOG POST EVER, I competed for the title of Miss Delaware last year. Looking back, the entire week was a complete blur of laughter, tears, and hairspray.With very little preparation, a $200 evening gown, a dance costume bought off of pageantresale.com, A swimsuit I purchased offline, and a dream, I walked into a room and looked at 15 of the most beautiful, talented, incredible young women in the great state of Delaware. I remember feeling incredibly humbled and overwhelmed listening to the incredible things these young women had done in their lives. Every single woman was an entrepreneur, a genius, an artist, an activist, and a role model. To simply be in the same room with all of them was an unbelievable blessing. I was so lucky to have been randomly paired up with Steffi Holmes as my roommate. She is wise beyond her years, kind, and so helpful. We clicked immediately, and she helped calm my pre-pageant jitters all week. I won't harp on the activities of each individual day, and to be honest...I dont remember it all! I blame the hairspray fumes. 

Before leaving to go to Miss Delaware, my grandfather was working on the farm in a combine, when the combine overheated and a piece of barley caught on fire. The entire combine and part of the field went up in smoke (which I could see from my Dad's house in Ocean View, the farm is is Whaleyville, MD!) Luckily, my Pop pop was okay and no serious damage was done to the farm. We all counted our blessings, but I couldn't help but remember that "Bad things happen in 3s."

I was awarded the first Miss Spirit Award of the week, which was a huge honor, as Miss Spirit is chosen by the wonderful Miss Delaware Executive Board. These men and women are not paid for all the time and effort they put in. If it weren't for them, so many scholarships would not have been possible, and so many girls dreams' would have never been reached. There were a few contestants over the week that I became particularly close to, though every single girl in the pageant was amazing. Maria Cahill and I developed some kind of magnetic bond the second we met at the first orientation. We knew it was true love when I came back from the chocolate fountain at Kayla Martell's Gala, with a plate oozing over the edges with chocolatey goodness. Throughout our time at Miss Delaware, we became closer, and now I'm proud to say she is one of my best friends in the whole world. That's right, my best friend won Non-Finalist Talent at Miss America. Clearly mine is better than yours. ;)



Just being attractive...the usual.


There was one instance in particular where I realized Maria was the kind of friend I was so lucky to have, and I hope everyone one day has someone do something just as selfless and kind as this. On Wednesday night, we were all in the ballroom at Dover Downs rehearsing our talent routines. I'm a dancer with a background in gymnastics, and my talent was acrobatic jazz  to "It's About That Walk" by Prince (how ya derrn Miss Arizona? She used the same song for an INCREDIBLE acro routine at Miss America, and was Maria's roommate!) Anyway, I landed wrong out of a back handspring and my foot swelled up immediately. Needless to say I was instantly hysterical, with pain and fear that my trip to Miss Delaware might end with me not competing. As the volunteers loaded me into the car to take me to the hospital, Maria came running out and jumped in the car with us, not wanting to let me go alone. She thinks it wasn't a big deal, but leaving valuable rehearsal time to go sit with me through xrays is not something most girls would do for a competitor. Luckily it was just a bad sprain, and I had the doctor's blessing to dance through the pain. When we returned back to the hotel, neither of us looking too hot (well Maria is always hot), we met the judges, and had to tell them a fun fact. Mine was that I was terribly unlucky, but I was so blessed to have a new friend in my life, willing to sacrifice her time to help me through a hardship. Bad event #2? Check. Now where's number 3?


Still super attractive.

The most happy.




My interview on Thursday could not have gone any better. I walked out of the room knowing the judges had really gotten to know me for who I am. I spent much of the rest of the day praying and icing my foot, and I finally realized, God knew I was hurt, it was all in his plan. Whatever happened was all in his hands, and it was all for a purpose. I nailed my talent on the first night of preliminary competition, after being in the hospital just the day before. I was so incredibly proud, I remember running off stage and jumping into the arms of our stage manager, Kevin. I kept sobbing and repeating "I did it, I did it!." Evening gown went well, and when I went to bed that night I was so proud. Friday night was swimsuit (cue scary dramatic music), and onstage question. Swimsuit is definitely not my favorite event, but my onstage question went really well. Side note: I LOVE SUSAN POWELL, former Miss America and our emcee.
A partial leap during talent, thanks to Debbie Magnin for photos!

My swimsuit picture was in the Cape Gazette!

Fast forward to Saturday, I awoke a bundle of nervous jitters, and couldn't function all day. Saturday night in the dressing room I thought to myself, God is giving me these obstacles to overcome for a reason. He knew I was strong enough to handle the hardships I was facing, and He had a plan. I heard 8 names out of the top 10 announced, and I accepted the fact that neither of the last 2 names were mine. I was young and inexperienced, and it wasn't my time to be in that elite group yet. I was fully at peace with this, and then I heard my name called. I was shocked, excited, and overwhelmed. After falling out of a tumbling pass during my talent (Bad thing #3? Check), I was sure my run ended at the top 10 and I was so proud of how far I had made it. We returned on stage to anxiously await the announcement of the top 5. 4 names were called and my hope was deflated. I assured myself that God had a plan for me and not to dispair over this. Imagine my elation and hysteria when that 5th seat belonged to me
This just about sums it up.

I am so blessed to have been named 4th runner-up to a fabulous Miss Delaware. I can't express how proud, happy, and excited I was for Maria's journey. She is a beautiful person, inside and out, and it is an honor to be in her court. If you can't tell how I feel about Maria through this blog, seeing her crowning video and my reaction might help...follow this link and watch. Yes I'm the hysterical blonde in the gold.

My experience at Miss Delaware last year has changed my life in so many ways. I have grown into a much more confident, self-assured, and better version of myself, and made some new lifelong friends. As it turns out, bad things do not happen in 3's, but 4's. My dad was unable to make it to Friday, or Saturday's shows because of a knee injury, and was instead in the hospital. The moral of the story is, things will go wrong sometimes. Life is not fair. Bad things happen to good people. BUT, God is great. He knows when we are suffering, and He knows when we need guidance. I am proof that with the knowledge of His love for you, and the willingness to accept the unexpected turns He throws in your life's path, you can achieve greatness.

Sorry this was a long one!

XOXOXO
Alyssa

 "fear not, for I am with you;  be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you,  I will uphold you with my righteous right hand" Isaiah 41:10
.



Special Thanks to:
Mama Sandy Soucek for convincing me to enter my first local, and all of your help/love/support
Lana and Aimee Parker for all of your love and support from DJM to MAO
My family, obviously. Especially you Mommy!
All the other contestants last year, Maria, Mikaila, Steffi, Tierra, EVERYONE! Love you all!
All of the volunteers, there are too many to name!

3 comments: