Monday, April 16, 2012

5k's, Formals, and Orientations, oh my!

This weekend was a crazy one, that's for sure. Friday night I had my sorority formal at the Adventure Aquarium in Camden, NJ. After about 2 hours of sleep I awoke to get pretty in full make up and hair for headshots at the Miss Delaware orientation in Milford at 8:30 am. Then I headed to Selbyville to celebrate my brother's 24th birthday, drove back up to Newark to hang out with the lovely Maria Cahill, and again somehow managed to cheat myself of a decent night of sleep. Sunday I woke up to run a 5k, went to a UD baseball game with Maria, had chapter and airband practice. All told, I danced for more hours than I slept this weekend! Busy for me, however, is definitely not a bad thing. 

Sorority formal was so much fun! I got to hang out with my GrandBig and my wonderful twin littles, dance, and play with some fishies. I was exhausted the next morning but it was definitely worth it!

Steph and Kayla (my Littles!), Me, and Ali (my GrandBig!)

The next morning I was so excited to head to Miss Delaware orientation, to see my old friends and make some new ones. Becky Albini, Miss Atlantic Coast is my partner in crime, so naturally we are always inseparable at pageant functions. I got to see Tierra, Miss Brandywine, my love, and all the other wonderful contestants. Big shout out to my Miss Delaware roommate, Alix Gardiner! Can't wait to spend the week getting to know you girl! Being at orientation made the impending pageant seem so real. It's a little scary that exactly 2 months from today, a new Miss Delaware will be crowned. While it breaks my heart that Maria's journey is entering a new chapter, I am beyond thrilled that I have a chance to add a chapter as Miss Delaware to my life story. (A 1 in 18 chance, but still a chance!) After Saturday, I can already tell that whoever is crowned in June will represent our state with class and grace. I was thrilled to practice my talent and get feedback from the board, pick my placement for Miss Delaware 2012, and learn part of our opening number! I am contestant number 7 (lucky number 7!) in the pageant, which puts me in the Mu group. This means that on Thursday, the first night of preliminary competition, I will be competing in swimsuit and on stage question, and Friday night I will compete in talent and evening gown.  I can't wait to perform my talent, which is a super upbeat jazz routine to "River Deep Mountain High," strut my newly fit figure in my swimsuit, and wear my incredible custom Tony Bowls gown. June cannot come soon enough!
I have no words for how much I love these two.

As far as the 5k goes, I am SO not a runner. I enjoy working out. Lifting weights is gradually becoming one of my favorite activities, I love the elliptical, and I am a big fan of spin/yoga/zumba, and kind of fun workout activity, but running, not so much. This year I decided to run my sorority's annual 5k. My goal was not to do it in a certain amount of time, or to win. My goal was to finish the entire race without stopping or walking. I am so proud to say that I accomplished my goal within 32 minutes, which may not be the best time for someone else, but is a huge accomplishment for me. You may have heard me mention before on here that I have been focusing on my health and fitness this past year. 2 dress sizes and 18 pounds ago, I could have never finished a 5k, or even a 1k probably. It's small victories like this one that keep me so motivated to keep working towards my goal of being Miss Delaware. If I can run a 5k, who says I can't reach my other goals?

My sorority sister/best friend/Distinguished Young Woman of Delaware successor, Veronica Townsend before running the Autism Speaks 5k!

This weekend was a busy one, but that's what being a titleholder with the Miss America Organization is all about. We must juggle schoolwork, our personal lives, pageant responsibilities, and maintaining a healthy lifestyle and positive image. It's not easy, but it's worth it. This organization has helped me grow into a responsible and independent young woman. It's busy weekend like this one that make me grateful for friends, family, the opportunities I have to be this busy, and of course, my super comfortable bed!

Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him, and he will act. Psalm 37:5

No comments:

Post a Comment